KRIS BAILEY: Head Chef and Owner Pizza Religion – Two-time Australian Pizza Champion.
It sounds ridiculous but we do Pizza on Boxing Day. I am from New Zealand originally, however, these days I’ve been embracing the Aussie BBQ Culture. The family is usually all still together and we roll up a little dough and do some basic pizzas on the BBQ. My favourite is fig, prosciutto and gorgonzola with a little basil and truffle oil.
- Combine yeast and sugar with 1 cup of luke warm water. Allow to sit for 5 minutes in a warm place until the mix becomes frothy. Fold in the olive oil.
- Sift the flour and salt into a bowl and add the yeast mix. Mix well with your hands until a dough forms.
- Turn out the dough onto a lightly floured work station and knead well for 5 minutes until elastic.
- Cover the dough with a tea towel and rest in a warm place for about an hour, or until doubled in size.
- Return to the floured work surface and knead for one minute.
- Cut into 4 portions and work each portion hard to form a small ball.
- Your pizza dough is now ready to be stretched, tossed or rolled out into your pizza base.
Basic Pizza Sauce
- In a saucepan cook the oil, onion and garlic over medium heat until soft.
- Add the remaining ingredients, season and simmer for 10 minutes, until slightly thickened. Set aside to cool.
Fig + Prosciutto Pizza
- Pre-heat your oven or BBQ to the maximum temperature.
- Once you have rolled out your pizzas, add 3 tablespoons of pizza sauce and push to the edges.
- Spread small chunks of Gorgonzola and fior di late around the pizza (it will melt and spread out so don’t cover the base).
- Add figs evenly and season with salt and pepper.
- Oil an oven tray and cook for pizza for 6–8 minutes or until base crispy and golden and cheese melted.
- Finish with slices of prosciutto, lots of basil and a drizzle of truffle oil.