Whatever you do, don’t be tempted throw out those soft, dark-spotted bananas that lie forgotten at the bottom of the fruit bowl. This recipe makes mature, bruised, old bananas the stars of the show in a cake that is summer-party worthy and won’t break the bank.
The booze of choice is an old favourite – dark rum. The slightly tropical, caramel flavour of the rum is the perfect lift to a simple vanilla ice cream and works so well with the sweet banana cake. Banana-heavy and moist as can be, this cake will have you going back for more.
Caramelised Banana Cake With Rum Ice Cream
Makes one large cake
Easy Homemade Rum Ice Cream
- 400ml heavy cream
- 1 can condensed milk
- 1 tsp vanilla paste (*or good quality extract)
- 10ml dark rum
- Whip the cream to soft peaks. Add the can of condensed milk, vanilla and rum.
- Pour the cream mixture into a plastic container. Freeze overnight.
- 250g unsalted butter, at room temperature
- 1½ cups caster sugar
- 4 eggs
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 4 very ripe bananas, peeled and mashed (approx. 2 cups)
- 2 tsp baking soda
- ½ cup hot milk
- 3 cups plain all-purpose flour
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1 extra banana, sliced lengthways, for top of the cake
- 2 tbsp Demerara sugar
- Preheat oven to 170°C and line a medium (23cm-diameter) cake tin with baking paper and lightly grease the sides.
- Beat softened butter and sugar together until creamy and pale in colour. Add the eggs, one at a time, and beat well after each addition. Add vanilla and mashed bananas.
- Combine baking soda and hot milk and stir until baking powder has dissolved, add to mixture and fold gently to combine.
- Sift in flour and baking powder and fold gently into mixture until just combined to keep the air in the mixture.
- Sprinkle the Demerara sugar onto the bottom of the prepared baking tin. Arrange the sliced whole bananas so that they are flat side down on the base. Pour mixture into prepared baking tin and smooth the top. Bake in the preheated oven for approximately 50–60 minutes or until the top is springy and a skewer inserted in the centre comes out clean.
- Allow to cool in the tin and then turn out. Serve with rum ice cream.